This year’s Music of Black Origin edition, also known as the MOBO Award, was held at the Coventry Building Society Arena in the U.K. and online.
The MOBO Award honours achievements in “music of black origin” such as hip hop, R&B, soul, reggae, jazz, gospel, and African music.
Nigerian superstar Wizkid made history as he won Best International Act and Best African Act for MOBO Awards 2021. He was nominated in the Best African Music Act of the year category alongside Ayra Starr, Burna Boy, Ckay, Davido, King Promise, NSG, Rema, Tems, and Tiwa Savage.
In the Best international act category, he was up against Megan Thee Stallion, Doja Cat, Drake, Kanye West, Lil Nas X, Polo G, Rema, Skillibeng, and Young Stoner Life (Young Thug & Gunna).
See other awards by Wizkid here.
The ceremony also featured performances from Ghetts, Tems, NSG, Bree Runway, and Pa Salie. Here is a list of the awards and their winners.
- Album of the year – Dave, We’re All Alone In This Together
- Best female act – Little Simz
- Best male act – Ghetts
- Best newcomer – Central Cee
- Song of the year – Tion Wayne & Russ Millions, Body (Remix)
- Video of the year – M1llionz, Lagga
- Best grime act- Skepta
- Best R&B/soul act – Cleo Sol
- Best hip-hop act – D. Block Europe
- Best drill act – Central Cee
- Best international act – Wizkid
- Best performance in a TV show/film – Micheal Ward as Franklyn in Small Axe
- Best media personality – Chunkz & Yung Filly
- Best gospel act – Guvna B
- Best African music act – Wizkid
- Best reggae act -Shenseea
- Best jazz act – Sons of Kemet
- Best producer – Jae5